Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My anti theft alarm comes on from time to time when I'm

Customer Question
My anti theft alarm...

My anti theft alarm comes on from time to time when I'm trying to turn off the engine. If I disarm the feature, does that mean I have no car alarm at all?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2005 srx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not yet...the car will be here by transport on Friday

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How much will this cost?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Cadillac Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I think I will wait until I have the car here.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cadillac
3/7/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician replied 1 month ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

I can talk to you now, and follow up on Friday when the car arrives, if you like.

That is a strange issue. When you say "car alarm" is it a siren or is the horn honking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The person sitting in the car can't remember which one went off...can you walk me through both?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think that is a great idea but I will wait for the vehicle to arrive here this Friday.

My point of asking is because there is no siren on the car from the factory. A siren would mean there is an aftermarket alarm installed, and my advice would be to remove that entirely before continuing.

The phone call request is an automated message, just disregard that for now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This 2005 SRX SUV is in showroom condition and everything came from the factory....no add-ons.....so can you tell me how to fix it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You still there?

I'm not sure if I can, because it is malfunctioning. This system is, like most systems on this car, computer controlled. If this car were in my shop, I would have a scan tool attached to it so I could see the inputs to the body computer and determine why it's activating the alarm. The alarm is automatically deactivated when you hit the unlock button or unlock it with a key, there is no manual disarming procedure.

I'd like to get more details about this, perhaps when the car is in your possession? This will likely end up at the dealership so the tech can attach his scan tool and do what I've described, but we can definitely go through some of the functions and verify what is and what isn't working before that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK so how do I get back to you on Friday?

You can reply here, and I will get a notification and come back to you as soon as I can. You should be receiving an email with a link back to this page.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician