Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Cadillac DTS that's been in family since new,

I have a 2006 Cadillac...
I have a 2006 Cadillac DTS that's been in family since new, barely over 100K miles and basically has been a trouble-free vehicle. The issue is when you turn off motor & remove key from keyhole and open driver's door it chimes like the key is still in ignition or lights on etc. but none of those causes are there. The car has done this for several years but off & on only, I could return key and turn on ignition a time or 2 and it would reset to the proper exit procedure, but now it is a permanent condition, this happens each time I shut off car and exit. I don't want to pay dealer a bunch of money to trace the problem (I asked and kinda got blank looks from service staff) nor be told I have to replace the ignition altogether. Any thoughts? The sad side effect of this is no remote start! So it's possibly a security system issue, or bad key, or what? Thank you.
3/7/2018
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

To turn off this chime have you always in the past been able to insert the key and turn it on and off a couple of times or did you have to cycle the head light switch on and off a couple times to turn it off?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Hi Pete. I would turn key on then off a couple times then it usually would reset. Never tried to cycle the headlight switch. I can give that a try today. Thank you.

Try the head light switch trick.If the chime still sounds then the fault is with the electronic ignition switch.The electronic ignition switch is the component that detects the key in the ignition signal and this switch is known to short out internally or fail to cause a false key in ignition signal causing this chime.I suspect it will be the ignition switch needs replaced.

The only way to be sure unfortunately is with a compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle to monitor the key in ignition signal.Below is the full diagnosis of this fault.

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
The body control module (BCM) monitors the ignition key alarm switch. When the key is in the ignition, the ignition key alarm switch is closed with the signal circuit low. When the key is not in the ignition, the ignition key alarm switch is open with the signal circuit high. The key in ignition signal circuit is grounded when you fully insert the ignition key into the ignition switch. This, in turn, pulls the BCM key-in-ignition input low. The radio generates the audible warning through the left speaker. The radio receives audible warning requests via GMLAN serial data from the instrument panel cluster (IPC).

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM TESTING

IMPORTANT: Before performing these diagnostics, make sure no indicator(s) is illuminated after the IPC performs a lamp test. If any indicators are illuminated after the bulb test, perform the indicator diagnostics before this diagnostics.

1. Turn the ignition ON.
2. Remove the key from the ignition.
3. Turn the headlamp switch OFF and open the driver door.
- If the chime does not sound, check for poor connections at the harness connector of the radio.
4. With the ignition ON, install a scan tool and observe the Park Lamp Switch parameter in the BCM Inputs Data List.
- The scan tool should display Inactive, if the scan tool displays active refer to Park, License, and Tail Lamps Always On. See: Lighting and Horns > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Park, License, and Tail Lamps Always On
5. With the ignition ON, install a scan tool and observe the Headlamp Switch parameter in the BCM Inputs Data List.
- The scan tool should display Inactive, but if the scan tool displays active refer to Headlamps Always On - Low or High Beam. See: Lighting and Horns > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Headlamps Always On - Low or High Beam
6. With the ignition ON, install a scan tool and observe the Key-in-Ignition Switch parameter in the BCM Inputs Data List.
- If the Key-in-Ignition Switch parameter displays Inactive, check the key-in-ignition switch signal circuit for a short to ground.
- If the key-in-ignition switch circuit tests normal, replace the key-in-ignition switch.

REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS

IMPORTANT: Always perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

Ignition Switch Replacement

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Cadillac Technician