Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 Cadillac escalade P2138 obd2 code already Replace the…

2007 Cadillac escalade P2138 obd2 code already...
2007 Cadillac escalade
P2138 obd2 code
already Replace the throttle body, it worked fine for a few minutes and die on me again.
Sometimes works fine but after a few minutes driving the code comes back on and don’t accelerate
What should i do next?
Thanks
3/6/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

P2138 is relative to the APP, or accelerator pedal position sensor.

A good diagnosis is recommended, of course, and there is a bulletin about a wiring issue (potentially) but if you want to make an educated guess at this, I'd put a new accelerator pedal in it.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, I am happy to follow up with you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, i’ll try and replace the APP
And let you know
Thanks

OK!

:-)

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

You will also have an opportunity to add a tip to the payment if you wish, and that is greatly appreciated. I work very hard to make sure you're getting the very best information I can provide for you.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
hi jerry, sorry for the late response , had family problems and had to go to mexico for a few weeks,
not much time to go online, anyways i got the new pedal and put it on but the issue still there, does the pedal need to be reset?
or what to do think i should do?
thnaks

Pedal doesn't need to be reset. This is going to need some expert diagnosis with a good scan tool. The tech will be able to look at the data and see what's going on with this signal, and make a determination what to do from there. I wouldn't put any more parts on this without a solid diagnosis, it will be worth the $80 or so that it costs to have it accurately diagnosed.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
i been thinking on buying a good scan tool, i only have the one that reads and delete codes
do you recommend any good scan tool, something not too expensive am willing to spend $1000
thanks

Look on Craigslist and Ebay for used scan tools from Snap On and OTC. A Snap On Modus or Verus might be had for about that price on the used market, that's the way I would go.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
the truck ran fine for a few weeks then the issue happened again, my friend told me to take the gas cap off and back on , which I did and car ran fine again, check engine light stay on but it run home fine, do you know if that cap or anything from the gas tank has anything to do with the problem?
Thanks
I’m gonna take it to the dealer next week if I don’t find the issue!

If you took the cap off and it ran fine, was there a vacuum on the tank when you removed the cap? Did you hear it hiss or otherwise make noise like it was sealed up?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
it does make noise , like normal

You shouldn't have any pressure or vacuum in your tank. If you do, the vent valve is stuck closed, the canister is clogged up, or something else is amiss.

What your friend had you do was release a vacuum on the tank, apparently caused by driving it with a plugged up vent. As the engine uses fuel, it has to draw air into the tank to replace the fuel. If it doesn't, eventually a vacuum gets created on the tank, and it will get to the point where this vacuum starts to affect the fuel pressure going to the engine.

I would expect to find trouble codes or a check engine light here, perhaps a P0455 or something like that, indicating a problem with the evap vent solenoid, but you didn't make a mention of it. That doesn't mean it's fine, it simply means that the computer hasn't picked up on it yet if it's bad.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Evap vent selonoid is the problem you think?

Based on what you've told me, that's what I suspect, yes. They go bad quite often, usually causing a check engine light, but your symptom isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Ok, let see if I can find one! Thanks
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician