Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am a repair shop that took on a repair from a neighbor who…

I am a repair...

I am a repair shop that took on a repair from a neighbor who started repairs himself, but could not complete them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I am working on a 2004 Cadillac SRX with the 3.6L v6 (vin code 7). I need to speak with a Cadillac expert, not an automated answer bot please

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Please connect me with an expert so I do not have to repeat myself

1/22/2018
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Cadillac master technician and I would be happy to assist you with this today.

Let me know what the problem is that you are experiencing and we will take it from there

Hi Gabriel,
I am an independent shop owner, but I do not have access to Alldata or Mitchell at the moment and I took on a basket case from my neighbor. The car was in Limp mode mode for TAC problems. The customer had access to GM Bulletin 05-06-04-032C to update the throttle body and connector to the new style because of connector concerns. He did that and it didn't fix the probem, so he bought a pedal sensor assembly but could not put it in himself. That is where I got the car.
I put the pedal sensor in and the readings I get from my scanner show the APP sensor working properly. I can depress the gas pedal from idle to WOT and watch the reading move from 0 to 100% with both APP sensors in agreement.
The problem lies in the TPS. The bulletin gives wire coding to wire in the new connector, but it is in conflict with 2 different wire diagrams I have for this car. I tested continuity for all TB wires to PCM connector and all test fine.
I decided to wire the TB to the schematics I have rather than the bulletin because I have tried both ways and they both trip instant codes, but I have fewer with the diagram.
I am getting a correct 5V reference from the gray wire. The same 5V from the purple wire (TPsensor2), but I am getting 3.3V from the dark green (TPsensor1) wire with KOEO at idle, so my scanner says that the throttle is open 73% at idle with the pedal commanding 5% open.
I replaced the TB the customer installed with another NEW OEM TB, but get the same readings as the other new one.
I am assuming I have a faulty PCM, but never want to assume anything. I want to troubleshoot this thing correctly and fix it properly. I need to know what to test with the correct specs for the tests.
I can clear the codes, but with KOEO, I automatically get P2176 and P2119 back every time.
I have the TB wired as follows:
1 yellow tac motor
2 tan low reference
3 gray 5V reference
4 brown tac motor2
5 purple TP 2
6 dark green TP1

Okay great, thank you for the detailed info, that helps out a lot.

You have all of the wires exactly where they should be at the moment, so we know everything is routed correctly.

Based off the reading you are getting I would suspect either an open/damaged wire between the PCM/TB or an incorrect PCM output signal. To test it you can ohm out the wire between the PCM and the Throttle connector, it should be close to 0ohms. If the wire tests good and the problem is still present than that means we have an issue with the PCM logic

That is what I assumed, and I have already tested all 6 TB wires to PCM connector1, and they all zero out to 0ohms.
The only thing that concerns me is that because I had the diagram discrepency, I haven't permanently wired in the TB connector so I am able to test and disconnect the PCM wires to the TB.
I am getting the 3.3V directly out of the TPS with the PCM wire disconnected. Is the PCM sending a faulty signal thru the 5V reference wire to provide the 3.3V? In other words, the PCM is reading the 3.3V the same as my volt meter when I disconnect the dark green PCM wire from the TB connector. And as I said, I get the same 3.3V from both new throttle bodies with or without the dark green wire connected

Okay then it sounds like the problem is with the reference voltage signal. It uses pin 6 one the PCM for the signal ground, with that wire disconnected we should still be getting 5V on the green wire, so if it is only putting out 3.3V then we have an issue with our reference voltage coming from the PCM

To make sure I understand, PCM uses pin 6 on PCM connector 1 or the TB connector for signal ground? Is there an external ground connection to the engine or frame I can check, or is this an internal PCM failure?
IF the dark green wire is signal ground from the PCM, I should be able to connect volt meter ground to dark green wire, turn on ignition and probe gray wire for 5V reference?
I'm thinking it would be best if I called you to walk me thru the tests in real time so there is no confusion. I have to run a quick errand, but can be back in about an hour to do a live call. Will you be available in about an hour?

You are correct, you will want to disconnect the green wire from the PCM connector, then from there ground that wire and turn the ignition on. From there you should see close to 5V, if it is still too low then we have a definite PCM issue.

I am back from lunch now, so I can call if needed

I am right back at square 1. I performed the test we described by probing the dark green #6 wire with my voltmeter negative while it was disconnected from the TB, and the gray 5V reference with my positive probe. There was no voltage with the key off, but when I turned the ignition on, engine off, I did get a reading of 4.74V which is consistent with reference voltage. So the PCM is Grounding the circuit with the key on, but I still get 3.3V from the connector side of #6 to the TB when it is or isn't connected to the PCM.
So the TPS is putting out 3.3V whether I use the dark green wire as a ground point or just use the negative battery post as ground. Still confused where to go from here?

Alright after looking over the schematics a bit more I do see what you're saying. If you got a reading of 4.74V then the pcm should be putting out the proper voltage. If it is dropping at the connector that makes me thing there may be a stretched/loose pin inside the connector. It could be a bad/loose wire, but since you already ohm tested the wires I do not think that would be our issue

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician
Cary York
Phone call session started
I think someone tried to call this morning before I made it to work, but I thought the call was a solicitor.
Anyhow, the call would not have helped me anyway because I was not here at work to make any checks on the car.
I am here now and will be here for 4 more hours if you can call me back please.
To recap my situation:
I have the TB wired correctly and there are no wiring shorts to any connector
APP sensor appears to be working correctly
PCM seems to be working correctly
2 NEW OEM TB's are sending 3.3V from connector 6 (dark green) even with the wire disconnected from PCM
Need to know where to check/diagnose next to correct P2119
Please call me back at the number given so I can check the car with you on the phone if necessary
Thank you
Dave
I did not receive a call today and am left with no answer to my original question. I was charged $26 for a phone call I have yet to receive. Will I be receiving another call from you or do I need to request another expert? I need to get this car diagnosed properly.

I spoke with owner and we will speak again in the morning to discuss his problem further

I was hoping to hear from you today, but was busy on another repair so I did not take the time to call you. I finished the other car and now this Cadillac is my absolute top priority for Monday morning. I will call you as soon as I arrive to the shop and get settled on Monday.
Have a nice weekend
Dave
Sounds good. Thank you
I'm not sure why I was hung up on and then sent to voicemail when I called back, but I need to resolve this issue today and I am not getting a response from phone calls or text messages. Are you going to help me, or do I need to request another expert?
Starting to get frustrated here.
After talking to customer support, I am reaching out to you once more to see if you are able to assist me with my problem. Can you please respond today so I can move forward. Thank you