Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Cadillac dts, vin Y. I removed the coolant…

Customer Question
I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 Cadillac dts, vin Y. I removed the coolant crossover in order to replace the water pump which entailed removing the fuel injectors and fuel rail. Replaced worn water pump, re-installed coolant crossover, plugged in every connector that was required. Crank the vehicle, immediately got flashing check engine light and vehicle sounded as if it had jumped timing and was actually knocking horribly. Immediately shut the vehicle off. I have since removed the intake at least four times looking for possible vacuum leaks or fuel leaks. No broken injector O-rings, no broken or busted boot between intake and back of throttle body at coolant crossover and every plug has been plugged in again to include MAP SENSOR, THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR, EGR, and Cam or Crank or ? sensor located near bottom 2 bolts on rear of coolant crossover on rear head. Please advice as to what could give this vehicle the symptoms of having jumped timing and bent valves if vehicle ran fine before with the exception of a little water pump wine. Water pump bearing was moderate worn and replace during this process.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It blinked, meaning random misfire.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am. I am fearful of trying to crank it as it sounded so horrible. so i removed the intake and looked for obvious vacuum leaks. No broken vacuum lines, no broken O-rings on the injectors, top or bottom, and the intake manifold gaskets looked OK. Re-torqued intake manifold to 89 inch pounds in 2 steps.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am very mechanically inclined. i would say 8 out of 10 as i do not do internal motor work such as building engines and the like.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cadillac
1/20/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Cadillac Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Cadillac Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I believe in this case there is possibly coolant is in a plug hole causing the coil and plug to misfire, more than likely on more than one cylinder. Another possibility is the injectors not plugged up correct, thus pulsing at the wrong times or an injector signal wire damaged and grounded causing an injector to stay on and constantly spraying. You can try a compression test but I just can not see this to be an internal engine issue.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I'm not sure how coolant could get in a plug hole as they are on top of the heads and 99% of the coolant work was done at the back of the block between the trans and engine ( coolant crossover). They only line containing coolant that ran over the intake manifold was the coolant hard line that runs from just under where the fuel line disconnect and driver's side to coolant expansion tank on passenger's side. The wiring is plugged in correctly as the harness has been in this position for so long that the injector plugs practically position themselves. Remember, as soon I crank it, it instantly sounded like a vehicle that had a timing belt installed out of time.

Did you do the compression test I mentioned?

Sorry for the long pause Chris but I am currently battleling the flu. I have not done the compression test as I got very wet right before I reached out to you. I have been admitted to the VA Hospital in my area with the Flu and trying not to get Pnumonia. I will get back on project as soon as I am well. Thanks for your patience.

Fully understand

Hello Chris. My brother-inlaw has run out of time waiting on me to get over the flu, so he has had it towed to a Cadillac dealership. I didn't actually get to do anything to the vehicle except ask the question. The vehicle is no longer a concern for me now, just getting better. Thanks.
Cadillac Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Cadillac Technician replied 6 months ago

Sorry, my answers were of no use. If you want to compensate me for my time, please do so by rating my answer.