Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 DTS. Of recent, the ignition key will not turn…

Hi...I have a 2006...

Hi...I have a 2006 DTS. Of recent, the ignition key will not turn all the way to the locked position allowing the key to be removed. If I start the car and turn it off again, sometimes that works. Also, sometimes if I mover the floor shifter in and out of park, that will work. The ignition switch was replaced on a recall about 2 years ago. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

In the key on position, I can move the steering wheel. It is the original key but the car only has 32,000 miles on it so I assume the key should be okay? I replaced the battery several years ago as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything to fix it yet, other the procedures described above. For some reason I thought there was a sensor of some sort in the shift lever that might be bad and simulate the car being in gear?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The issue started out of the blue about 6 months ago. Since I do not drive it that often, I have not taken it anywhere to be diagnosed. So far, I have been able to get the keyed into the lock position by doing what I described above.

1/16/2018
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

There are several possible causes for this.

1. The shifter Solenoid fuse, which would do it all the time, so that is not going to be it.

2. The ignition lock cylinder solenoid is bad.

3. The shifer assemlby needs to be replaced.

My goal is to give you 5-star service, so please rate my service with a 5-star rating before leaving the site today. You can always follow up with any further questions related to this problem at this thread and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks Jim...Is there a way for me to troubleshoot the latter to issues?

Is this equipped with a floor shifter or column shifter?

Floor shifter. It is a DTS Sport model.

Bypass the park switch in the floor shifter assembly. If the ignition lock cylinder solenoid now functions properly, replace the floor shifter assembly.

Verify the ignition lock cylinder solenoid has 12 volts on the PU/WH wire, and ground on the BK wire when the vehicle is in Park. If it does, the ignition lock cylinder solenoid is faulty,

Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Jim
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician