Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

2002 Deville base model. Last night I pulled the cluster,

Customer Question
2002 Deville base model...

2002 Deville base model. Last night I pulled the cluster, removed the check engine light bulbs and re-installed the cluster. Now everything functions perfectly except for the speedometer which sits at 0 constantly now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

The check engine light? I know what that is, it's not something i'm going to fix. I need the speedometer to register the speed again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i'm a mechanic. I pulled it back out and checked all the connections but they're all fine. Nothing looks damaged. I also tried unhooking the battery and touching the cables together for an hour, hooked them back up after the computer lost memory but it's still not functioning

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cadillac
1/15/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Pete, Cadillac Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does the vehicle drive and operate properly as well as shift properly with this issue here?

Do you have a scan tool that can read data signals from the instrument cluster at all?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It drives and shifts beautifully, the whole cluster works otherwise, turn signals, driver info station, fuel level, coolant. The fuel range and trip odometer gauges are not registering but that makes sense since no speedo. In fact the abs is functioning so the wheel speed sensors are all happy. Oh, also the cruise doesn't work but again, makes sense.I have cheap scan tools for check engine lights, nothing that would get that deep into a gauge cluster.

O.k., if this was not an issue until after you removed the check engine light bulb this can be due to a fault in the instrument cluster circuit board or an issue with the stepper motor that runs the speedometer.It may have been bumped and damaged internally or when the bulb was removed this may have affected the circuit board causing this fault here.

Since there are no shifting issues I don't suspect this is the vehicle speed sensor at fault causing this issue.This does sound to be a fault in the cluster with it needing to be repaired or replaced.

To check this you will need to obtain a scan tool that displays the instrument cluster data list signals to then observe the data signals on the scan tool.If it shows a data signal for vehicle speed in the instrument cluster data list then the cluster is actually receiving the signal but is not either sending the signal to the stepper motor to control the gauge or the circuit board or stepper motor has an issue.This is a common fault as I have seen others remove lights or tamper with other gauges and it caused issues like this here and the instrument cluster had to be removed and repaired or removed and replaced to resolve this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Cadillac Technician