Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 99 escalade, the headlights were not working, I…

I have a 99...

I have a 99 escalade , the headlights were not working, I replaced the turn signal switch, the light headlight switch, the relays for the running daylight relays, the headlights work but sometimes they flash quick and they come back right away but I got the symbol on the instrument cluster that they are off, last night they were flashing like 20 times

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Yes, they are ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sometimes the high beans will not turn on,they will not show on the instrument cluster, I think my BCM maybe the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is it, do I need to get the BCM program at the dealer if I buy it new from somebody else

1/15/2018
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online.

I have my doubts that the BCM is the issue. While it is partially in control of this, the headlight module, located on the lower left of the dash (picture included) is more than likely the issue.

I replaced the headlight module already, before they were not working, now they flash sometimes

And the daytime running light module or sunload sensor?

Also do they flash the same on high or low beams?

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
I replaced the turn signal module, the relays for the the running lights but have not replaced the sun sensor
They only flash on low beam ans the high beams dont work , the symbol on the instrument cluster do not show the high beams which are not working
Cary York
Phone call session started
I am still waiting for the phone call

The offer fora phone call was accepted by a different expert and that expert will need to contact you. I will ask customer service to contact that expert as that information is not available to me.

I have been advised that the process was canceled as you wanted to speak to me, and that I should offer you the phone call, is this acceptable?
please

i am trying to, but the system will not allow it, please let me contact the admin about this. In the mean time I do have a document for you to follow. You mention your high beams don't work. That is a hard fault we can chase. Please look at the picture and verify exactly which symptom you have, meaning are the daytime running lights also inoperative or do they work without the high beams. With or without the phone call I will need that information to be able to assist you.

the low beams work all the time, but they flash really quick, the high beams work sometimes

When they flash, its both high beams together or just one of them?

they flash together on low beams

Ok so the low beams flash on and off, the high beams only sometimes work?

High beams sometimes turn on, when they dont turn on I dont get the high beam symbol on the dash. I have not been able to have the high beams on to see if they flash

Ok, so i think we have a wiring issue here. You replaced the headlight switch, headlight module (not the same thing as the switch), and other relays. High beams don't always work.
This sounds like you have a wiring issue around the dimmer switch itself. Can you tell me if wiggling the wiring under the dash makes the issue change in any way? Wiggle small portions at a time, tilt the steering wheel, that sort of thing.
There are also a couple ground that we must check, G200 and G201, they are call outs 5 and 6 in the attached diagram. Take those apart and check those carefully, make sure they are clean and tight.
Also look at the connections to the modules/switches and such. Pay close attention to the female terminals. inside there is a small tang that when spread will not have the same tension on terminals and they will loose connection. IF you find any, either the connector/terminal needs to be replaced or the little tang needs to be bent back to create the tension.

Its late here and I am off to bed. I sent a message to the admins regarding the phone call not working. What I propose is that you work through this information and we look to connect in the morning.

The problem started when I was driving at night and the headlights turn off by itself, there was noise coming from the headlight dimmer switch, I replace it, then my high beams will not work, I replaced the multi function switch, the one for the wipers, turn signal etc, then I replaced the relays by the foot pedals for the running lights , the relay was very hot, after that the lights stay on but flash a few times. When I turn the car the runnings lights come on, I get the symbol on the dash that they are working, when I turn the lights for the night the low beams come on but when they turn off and on by themselves really fast the symbol comes on like I was driving during the day with the running lighs, then the high beams will not turn on and I dont get the blue symbol on the dasboard
Where is the headlight module locate ?
Also before when I use the remote to open the suv or to lock the doors with the remote the low beams will be turn on, now they dont turn on with the remote
It should be on the opposite side of the steering column in a similar location as the drl module.
I’m logging off for the night, I will look in early in the morning.
I also change the drl module, looks like a heatsink
ok

Morning. So go through, check all the connections that I mentioned and see if you find anything loose. I cannot stress enough the grounds and pin connections.

I check the connections and they are ok, I order the DRL module and the BCM, is ac delco from amazon, Do I need to take the BCM to the dealer and get it program or I can just put it in, is brand new
The part number is ACDelco 16250731

The BCM should be a plug and play unit, no programming required that I can see.

I replaced the BCM, and I still have the same issue, I start the car and the DRL come on, when I turn the headlight on the low beams come on but the symbol for the DRL stays on and the high beams will not turn on, like the get disengage . When the car is off I can turn the low beams and they work fine, then I turn the high beams on and they work, seam the problem is when the ignition is on

Was the daytime running light module new or used?

I purchase the Day time running light module 704-117 new from Orelly auto parts,I also saw only a Daytime Running Lights DRL-Control Module 12135174 which I have not replace yet, should I replace it, looks like a circuit board. I also forgot to told you 6 months ago I installed HID kits on the suv, they work fine for 6 months , when this start happening I installed new ballast but I still have the same problem
m

YEs, install the new module.