Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 escalade esv - powers down and automatic locks clicking…

2004 escalade esv -...

2004 escalade esv - powers down and automatic locks clicking back and forth. Possible theft system.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

There is no noise but the locks will go back and forth on. then the system will say powering down and then locks up on me with driving and shuts down. sometimes not able to start again. thought was traction control but with pushing the button off will still happen at times

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escalade ESV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix ourselves. looking at fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Last time it shut down the lights would randomly come on without the key in. also will lock its self at times

1/14/2018
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online.

Does your truck have a remote starter or aftermarket security or aftermarket radio?

No to all of them.
No to all of them
When i drive it and most over bumps the locks go on and off then the system powers down and engine shut down
No noises

Ok, this sounds like a ground issue. There are several to check, most notably the grounds under the drivers door on the frame. Remove the bolts, clean both the grounds and the frame to bater metal and attach.
Then there are grounds at the base of the A pillars, which are the trim panels that run from the roof to the dash. Remove those and under the edge is a ground.
Also check the ground connections on the engine block, battery and finally check the wiring under the fuse block. Remove the brace, remove the cover and lift up the fuse block. Make sure there are no guests nesting under that.

If these do not correct it, then with the engine running, start wiggling wiring around until you find the issue.

Ok thanks so much

My pleasure.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. Again if you need further information, please use the Reply/Continue Conversation link to ask for more help and I would be happy to assist you further. You do not need to give a negative rating or relist the question to get more help :)

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic