Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cadillac 200 Escalade will not start. The battery continues…

Customer Question
Cadillac 200 Escalade will...

Cadillac 200 Escalade will not start. The battery continues to get drained completely and we keep replacing it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes, they look are good. Recently, we had it towed to mechanic and he had to reset the alarm system. It drove fine that evening.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Escalade?

2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?

Continue to replace battery anytime the car has not been driven for 3 days or more. But, now, even with new battery it will not turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Why, even after resetting the alarm, and replacing the battery does the car continue to go through this cycle?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cadillac
1/10/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the battery dies while the vehicle is at rest yet the battery load tests good then there is a component drawing current when it should not be. Any component which receives a direct battery feed can cause a draw. The problem could literally be dozens of things and it will require some testing to determine the cause. It could be a light coming on or staying on (such as the glovebox light), a module staying awake, an aftermarket radio or amplifier, and the alternator can fail and cause a draw.

What needs to be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. If the draw exceeds 40mA then there is cause for concern. At that point fuses would either be removed one at a time or voltage drop across fuses checked to see what circuit current is flowing on, and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

My concern is why the car will not start. The battery is brand new and just placed in the car. The car will not start. So, then towed it to the mechanic who was able to reset the alarm and then it ran perfectly all evening. Then, the next morning, same exact thing. Car will not start. Tried jumping battery and too dead to start.
Mechanic had checked it out and said fuses were good, fuel pump good, battery good.
As far as a slow drain on the battery, after owning this car for 12 years, it has always had a drain. Anytime it sat for 4 days or more, it would always need a jump. But, then the jump would work and as long as it was driven daily, there was no problem.
My problem now is new. It just won’t respond to a jump.

The cause of the battery dying needs to be diagnosed and repaired. Jump starting isn't always possible due to various reasons including the battery's state and the quality of what is being used to try to jump it.