Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Oil pressure warning is coming on and off inconsistent.

Customer Question
Oil pressure warning is...

Oil pressure warning is coming on and off inconsistent . There is also at least one valve cover leaking and was told that it would three hours just to fix the senor!

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

Check engine hasn't come on. I have only had car for four months and have no idea age of oil pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2004 north star 4.6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not doing it myself. The light goes on and off and I called auto shop for a quote for a replacement and was told that it would take three hours is that true ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also if and details to fix oil leak in valve cover gaskets ,Thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cadillac
1/9/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. On these Cadillacs, a common issue that causes the oil light to come on, is a faulty oil pressure switch. I have come across many that actually leak through the oil switch connector end. You should have the switch inspected to see if this is the issue. Also, you should check the oil level to be sure that it is sufficient. With the valve cover leaking this is a very possible cause. I would also have the oil pressure tested to make sure the issue is not a failing pump. If the pump is the issue, the valve cover nor the oil pressure switch will fix the issue. Although, from my experience, the switch is usually the cause. Just a moment, please, while I retrieve valve cover gasket replacement information.

Is this vehicle a CTS, Seville, or Deville?

This motor is a northstar. The same 4.6l that you would have in your vehicle.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.