Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I broke the end of the camshaft that holds the water pump…

I broke the end...

I broke the end of the camshaft that holds the water pump pulley. Now I have to replace the camshaft. How do I go about it? The Haynes repair manual that I have says that this is too intrinsic and will not go into it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

Yes, it just recently overheated. I thought the radiator had sprung a leak and was going to replace it (pretty easy job) but then I noticed that the water pump pulley was broken and the belt was shredded. So, I ordered a new water pump (with the special tool) and was in the process of changing it when I broke the end of the camshaft.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Special?

It is a 1999 Cadillac Deville Concours with the 4.6L V8.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Special yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am in the process of putting in a new radiator and new water pump, water pump pulley and belt.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can I remove the camshaft and the timing gear without screwing up the timing?

1/8/2018
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I have been an Automotive Technician for over 15 years.

With the correct information, tools, and skill level there is no reason that you can't replace the camshaft yourself. It really all boils down to how confident you are in completing this repair yourself. I can help you get the correct information if you are interested in completing the task.

I will let you know that the labour guide information I have suggests that it should take approx 3.5 hrs. And that should be what you will be quoted if you go to a garage for the repair.

I'm willing to try. Go ahead.

ok I will locate and send you those instructions soon.

nelson freitas
Thank You, Nelson.

Its not a problem at all! Glad I can help.

Here are instructions on how to remove the timing gear

I know it recommends removing the engine, but I am not so sure that is needed. If you are able to remove the crankshaft pulley you shouldn't have any clearance issues doing the rest in the vehicle.

The response I received was "NOT" what I expected. I asked for information on how I should go about removing the cam shaft from a 1999 Cadillac Deville with the 4.6L Northstar V8 and what pitfalls I should watch out for. Not how to remove the cylinder heads. NOT SATISFIED.

These are the best instructions that I could find that showed how to remove the camshaft gear.

There should have also been a second document that shows the camshaft removal. I will send that out again.

I am sorry for the confusion, I should have confirmed that both had sent correctly.

Is there any more information that you may need that I can get for you?