Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It's -25 and I tried boosting the vehicle with an external…

Customer Question
Hi. It's -25 and...

Hi. It's -25 and I tried boosting the vehicle with an external battery, and the anti theft system seems to have engaged and all I hear now is a click

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Engine compartment, and we've been having this for over an hour

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

SUV luxury 2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well, boosting it, cleaning the contacts with WD40 and boosting again, and checking fuses. So far the results have been the same

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's all there is to know

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cadillac
1/3/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

You would not hear a click when turning the key to start if this were a security issue. The security system would block the signal wire to the starter completely.

Is the booster pack fully charged? Have you tried jump starting with another vehicle?

If you hear a click you have either a bad starter or the engine is seized. You can try tapping on the starter with a hammer lightly. The starter may be stuck in the cold weather.

If that does not work try turning the engine over by hand with the vehicle in park. The engine should turn freely by hand. Check the engine oil level as well. The colder temps can make the engine more difficult for the starter to turn the engine over and if your battery is completely dead the jump box may not have enough current to start the vehicle.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a 3 star or higher rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating by clicking on the stars in the upper right hand corner of the screen. This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! I do not get credit unless you give a positive rating. If you give a negative rating (2 stars or less) that does not result in a refund. So please ask what you need more help with and lets get your question answered!

Our battery and the booster pack were fully charged, but got discharged during our failed attempts to start the engine. But we did manage to finally jump-start it 5 hours later after a run home to recharge the battery pack. But we still have no idea how we got it to start up again
You need to scan for codes with a scan tool.
I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated. This question will automatically time out after 7 days.Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more. A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.Hoping this information was helpful.Thanks.