Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I put on the gas, I get a vibration in the gas pedal…

Customer Question
When I put on...

When I put on the gas , I get a vibration in the gas pedal and it gets louder and more vibration when I try to go faster?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

1. Happy New Year and thank you for talking to me about this, the frustration has me at the point of getting rid of the car. And I love her.....

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Th!nk?

As far as it being a gas hog...no...and I just had the carburetor rebuilt,the brakes redone so she idles very smooth.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Th!nk yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I had it at my local shop for the last 7 months with just the request for them to find why the gas pedal vibrates when I put on the gas...and thay had me do all the things I just mentioned. I'm thinking , could it be the universal joint on the driveshaft that's vibrating when I put on the gas???.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No ,if I can get an idea that leads me in the right direction......

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 3 months ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What year, make and model is it?

1976 CADILLAC ELDORADO CONVERTIBLE AROUND 29,000 ORIGINAL MILES

Well its a shot in the dark but theres two things I would suspect according to what you have told us.

Is the driveshaft original to the car and are the u joints in good shape, not stiff or loose or anything?

Have you pulled the transmission dust cover and inspected the flex plate for cracks or worn or missing teeth? I would suspect either the driveshaft has a bad u joint or has been replaced at some point with one that isnt exactly the correct length or theres an issue in the flex plate.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner