Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car is making grinding noise. Pass two days. Seems to be…

Customer Question
Car is making grinding...

Car is making grinding noise

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Pass two days. Seems to be coming from under the drive side engine I’m thinking maybe the transmission area

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2007 cts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I cycled through the gears from park to drive a few times then it popped up the check engine light

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Haven’t tried anything yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/31/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Does it make the noise whether driving or stopped still, or when braking?

Have you noticed any difference in shifting or engine performance since the noise has started?

It just makes noises. When I press the gas you can feel the vibration. Even in park
No performance issues. Just a rattling noise

There are a few possible causes all revolving around the transmission torque converter. One or more of the torque converter to flywheel bolts have backed out or sheared off and causing the noise and vibration, cracked torque converter shell, torque converter clutch starting to come apart or fail internally, turbine broken in converter.

There is slim chance that it is a cracked flywheel, but usually there will be issues with the starter staying engaged and burning up, resulting in a no start condition.

The engine and transmission will need to come out as an assembly and separated and inspect flywheel and torque converter and go from there.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.