Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

H I have a 2005 STS and it wouldn't start. When jumped, it…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 STS and it wouldn't start . When jumped, it started and had a "theft attempt-starting diabled" message. I continued to drive it and then it re-started but the next morning it happened all over again. Now it won't do anything at all (even when jumped) --

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

2005 STS (or CTS - not certain --- I'm at work and the car is at home)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just jumping the battery and then hoping it reprograms itself. Not I cannot even jump it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No -- thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/26/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 6 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

does the starter engage now?

or it does nothing at all when jumping?

Nothing at all when jumping.

have you tried your second key?

Yrs...and replaced the key battery

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

there is a relearn you can try. If it does not work I would try unhooking the car battery for an hour and also locking/unlocking the car a few times with the blade key. If still no luck, you will likely need to have the system reset with a gm/caddilac scan tool.

1. Press and hold the OFF/Acc button for approximately 4 seconds to turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
2. Observe the Security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes the indicator will turn off.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the password ***** the transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
5. Start the vehicle. The module being programmed has now learned the RCDLR password.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.