Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have mis-fires on cylinder 2,4,6 I changed timing chain I…

Customer Question
I have mis-fires on...

I have mis-fires on cylinder 2,4,6 I changed timing chain I changed fuel filter I checked all my cam sensor and they're fine I have new plugs My coils are fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

I'm not certain what is the problem It does not throw codes in park It only starts to mis fire when I start driving

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2006 cadillac sts 3.6 base

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I listed what I've done abolve

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

*above

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cadillac
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/23/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

if the misfires all all one bank then this could be an issue with either the wiring loom to that side where its possibly chafed and so shorting out the injectors or coils on that side

if you were to fit some a 'noid' lights to that side to confirm all the injectors are cycling as they should or listen to each injector with a long screwdriver held against each one and the other end placed in you ear so you can listen for the 'clicking' on each injector that should be present

and its also possible that the O2 sensor on that side is faulty?

might be worth trying running the engine with that side's sensor disconnected to see if this helps at all

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, thanks for responding. I cleared the codes. It doesn't throw any mis-fires when it's in neutral or when it's in park and I rev it up. Sounds and performs perfectly fine. To me, the injectors are fine. It's only when I start to drive and it then it'll mis-fire and shut into fail safe mode. Do you have a part number for the O2 sensor and can you tell me which side? Thanks again for your help.Zack

Hello

I don't have the part number for the o2 sensor but its the one closest to the engine on the RHS when looking at the front of the engine

so it match's the cylinder order as shown on the attached diagram

another possibility is the inlet manifold may be leaking on that side so air is being pulled in on that bank of cylinders

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propaneor brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Matt, Engineer