Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My check engine and stabillatrak light are on the dashboard.

Customer Question
The transmission works in all...
My check engine and stabillatrak light are on the dashboard. The transmission works in all gears but won't allow the car to do more than 27mph. Won't recognize sportier (manual)
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/20/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Pete, Cadillac Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

These lights coming on indicate a fault is detected by the engine computer which is also tied into the StabiliTrak system.What has to be done from here since there are several causes for this issue is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and can read all computers in your model to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault.

A shop or dealer can read out, diagnose and repair the code for a fee.A local parts store can usually read out the fault codes at no charge to you.They usually cannot diagnose or repair the fault but can give you an idea of what is at fault.

The computer has put the vehicle into a fail-safe mode limiting the speed which is why it won't go over 27 mph.Most common is a faulty throttle body actuator or throttle position sensor as we have seen.In some cases, all that is needed is to have the throttle body bore and bore plate cleaned with a rag with brake or carburetor cleaner sprayed onto it wiping out the bore and bore plate.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete