Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Cadillac escalade ESV: Recently noticed some voltage…

Customer Question
2003 Cadillac escalade ESV...

2003 Cadillac escalade ESV: Recently noticed some voltage dips with the car (cutting out/Dying). I did the normal tests. Checked the battery voltage when car was off 12.2VDC, then when running 11.6Vdc. Pulled the negative pole from the battery and car died. I ran down and bought a new alternator and slapped that baby in and bada boom badda bing! Nothing! Same situation as above. I pulled the lead off the back of the alternator to measure voltage directly off the post and go 0VDC. Nothing at all. Need help at this point. There is another set of (what looks to be) control wires going into the alteranator. Im not sure if the alternator is dumb or does it get info from a charge controller. If so, where are the fuses or controller

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?

2003 Cadillac escalade ESV: Recently noticed some voltage dips with the car (cutting out/Dying). I did the normal tests. Checked the battery voltage when car was off 12.2VDC, then when running 11.6Vdc. Pulled the negative pole from the battery and car died. I ran down and bought a new alternator and slapped that baby in and bada boom badda bing! Nothing! Same situation as above. I pulled the lead off the back of the alternator to measure voltage directly off the post and go 0VDC. Nothing at all.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/20/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Check to see if the large red wire going to alternator shows battery voltage with vehicle off, let me know. Thanks.

It does. It has the same voltage as the battery.

Check the voltage on the Brown wire going to the alternator connector pin B (alternator terminal L) with the engine running and the alternator unplugged. The voltage should be near 10 volts. Plug the alternator in with the Digital Volt Ohmmeter (DVOM) backprobed into the Brown wire and the voltage should be less than 1 volt with key on, engine off. Start the engine with the DVOM still backprobed into the Brown wire at the alternator. The voltage should switch from under 1 volt to near 10 volts. Let me know, thanks.

Ill have to check in the morning. I had to go back to work. Ill let you know.

Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Thanks.

Checked voltage directly off the brown pin with VOM. Without key in ignition=1vdc, with key flipped into power mode =10vdc, with motor running=8vdc
I inserted a small wire into the brown pin receptical, plugged the connector into the alternator.
With car off=0vdc
With ignition in power position=1.3vdc
With motor running=1.3vdc.

Sounds like a problem with the alternator, I would recommend trying a different manufacture. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

Getting a new one now.

Keep me updated, thanks .

Went down and got my second new alternator and worked fine. They gave me a re-furbished Remy the first time. I have read on a few different threads about the brand of alternator not outputting DC, When you suggested that might be the case, I went down and swapped it out with a AC Delco. It worked like a charm 14.5Vdc when running. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Good to hear, I'm happy you are up and running again. Thanks for update and have Merry Christmas.

Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.