Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Getting extremely low milage 12-16 mpg. Car has 15488 miles…

Customer Question
Getting extremely low milage...

Getting extremely low milage 12-16 mpg

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last clean or replace your air filter? And are the oxygen sensors in good working order?

Car has 15488 miles on it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Cadillac?

,2016 cad model XT5 4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XT5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing want to know what octane to use

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/17/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Cadillac recommends a top tier gas of a minimum 87 octane. If you are not using a top tier gas (exxon, BP Shell) they suggest a fuel system treatment every 5,000 miles.

More than likely you have a carbon build up in the intake system/valves causing decreased MPG. I would suggest either using a better fuel brand with more detergents or treating regularly at 5-6000 miles with chevron techron fuel system cleaner. I see this often and it should resolve your issue.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician