Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

My 1989 Cadillac Allente is hard to start and when it starts…

Customer Question
My 1989 Cadillac Allente...

My 1989 Cadillac Allente is hard to start and when it starts stalls after 5 minutes, and won't start again. With Regards,

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

The car stalls at idle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Allante yourself? What have you tried so far?

I removed the gas that was sitting for a few months and add new gas and also changed the alternator. also two (2) mechanics took a look at it and they did not find anything wrong, one mechanic stated that the negative wire on two ignition coils not working!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, the car was working fine, until I left it at my daughter's house for a few months.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/15/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

has anyone checked the fuel pressure to be sure the fuel pump is working correctly??

Roy

No, nobody checked the fuel pressure yet!

thats the first thing I would do. if it started and shut off, there was spark. thats why fuel pressure is the next step.

you may have a failed fuel pump.

Roy

any update???

Roy

The fuel pump pressure is good. How do I check the diagnostic codes from the screen?

what was the fuel pump pressure???

hold off and warmer buttons together for 5 seconds. the system is too old to tell you codes for spark or fuel. OBD1 gave very limited info.

I disconnected the battery when I did not use the car for a few months. Could I clear the PCM?

clearing does nothing. if there were codes there they will return as nothing has been done to resolve any issue that may have coded.

what was the fuel pressure???

Roy

Fuel pressure is about 31 PSI.

what motor is in your car???

4.5 Liter.

31 lbs??? are you sure???

it only calls for 9-12 lbs. if that is true, thats an issue with too much pressure

Roy

any update???

9 to 12 lbs. is incorrect!!!

for the 4.5 engine you told me, that is what is listed.

can I have the vin or at least the 8th digit of the vin???

Roy

roybelding
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician