Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Our touchscreen isn't working. Started a couple of months…

Customer Question
Hi! Our touchscreen...

Hi! Our touchscreen isn't working. Started a couple of months ago, where we basically lost the bottom half of the screen. Nothing would work down there, but it still worked fine up top, and we could do what we needed to (mostly, change radio stations). But a couple of weeks ago, it went out completely. Can switch channels to anything preset by using the steering wheel controls, but the touchscreen is gone. Still lights up, but touch it hard or soft, hold for a long time or just tap and nada...??

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The touchscreen on my 2014 XTS Cadillac Cue Infotainment system.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. I didn't know if this was something that happens to other folks are not, so I just did a search and it brought me to you. I can TRY to fix it myself if it's relatively easy. Just need to know what to do

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/11/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Ok, thanks. First, is this something a novice can fix, or will it require a return to the dealer?
Let's just do this by email. No phone call please

What happens on these usually is the software in the HMI (That's Human Machine Interface) module gets corrupted or needs to be updated, or the radio software needs to be updated. You can try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes or so and reinstalling the negative cable, and if there is a code in the system, sometimes that will clear it out and restore more functionality, but usually these issues can be resolved by updating the software to the latest operating system. If that doesn't do it, then you may have to replace the head unit or radio but I would definitely start by reloading the software first.

Yes, please disregard the automated phone call message.

Some GM dealers offer a free complimentary software upgrade, so it may not cost you anything at all, I would place a call to the selling dealer if possible and inquire about that. Does that help answer your question? thank you.