Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Power steering fluid leaked on to the driver side floor in

vehicle JA: Just to clarify, can...
Power steering fluid leaked on to the driver side floor in vehicle
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak? And have you checked the reservoir?
Customer: I added three bottels resivior kept going empty looked down on the floorboard there was a bunch of fluid coming from the steering column that goes through the floor
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 95 cadillac deville
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I plan to fix it my self. My boss pulled on of the boots back and told me it was rack and pinoin
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If it could be one of the lines or rack & pinion
12/11/2017
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

is it leaking from the boot?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From what boot

the rack bellose boot

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah my boss got under the car and said the rack & pinion boot was full of power steering fluid

then the rack is failed that boot is a dust boot when the rack end seal fails it fills the boot with fluid...when this happens the rack requires replacement

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it fairly easy to replace

3 hours on a lift

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will I have to get the car realigned

yes because the tie rods are attached to the rack

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have any videos you can send me to make it easier

no video

Raise and support vehicle with weight resting on suspension.

Remove front wheel assemblies.

Disconnect intermediate shaft from steering gear stub shaft.

Disconnect both tie rod ends from steering knuckles.

Remove line retainers and disconnect hydraulic lines from steering gear.

Remove five steering gear attaching bolts, Fig. 13.

Remove steering gear from vehicle by sliding out to the side.

Reverse procedure to install. Refer to Fig. 13, for tightening sequence.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you John I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer my question

great hope you can rate my service 5 star

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy