Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How to reset theft system on my cadiiiac, 1990 eldor. I

Customer Question
How to reset theft...

How to reset theft system on my cadiiiac , 1990 eldor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to walk you through that for your car. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I think that is all and thank you very much.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/7/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Frankie Pintado,
 replied 7 months ago
Frankie Pintado

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be the Expert assisting you today. I will need a little more information. What exactly do you mean by "reset"? Is the car not starting? Have you replaced any ignition components? Tell me a little more about what is happening.

I replaced the steering colum, I had a key made to match the car resistance of the old one for the new colum.
Cadillac Mechanic: Frankie Pintado,
 replied 7 months ago

The system on your vehicle only locks out for 4 minutes before it resets itself. If you still have the old key I would verify that the resistance is the same with a multimeter. If it is the same then find the two wire connector at the base of the column and disconnect it. Test resistance of the two wires (going up the column) with the key in positions 1,2,and start. The resistance should be the same as the key itself in all positions. If it is not, you may have an issue with wiring, but more than likely you have a bad lock cylinder that is not reading the key. The Lock cylinder was a common failure on these system. If it is a used column, that is the most likely scenario.

Cadillac Mechanic: Frankie Pintado,
 replied 7 months ago

If you have any further questions, I am happy to assist. If you feel I have answered your question and are satisfied, your 5-star rating will be very much appreciated. Thank you and good luck!