Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Cadillac SRX Performance Model with miilage…

Customer Question
I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 Cadillac SRX Performance Model with miilage 54,550. The right front passenger headlamp assembly is allowing moisture to accumulate inside. This has caused both low and high beam lights to fail. I had a certified mechanic look at the problem and was advised I would have to replace the whole headlamp assembly because of all the water that had accumulated inside.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the fuses?

Yes, the fuses are fine but the low and high bulbs have burned out. I was advised if I replaced the bulbs they would just burn out again because of all the water that is in the assembly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Its too complicated. I had a certified mechanic look at it as I live in a small town in the the Sierras that has no Cadillac Dealers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Would I be better off taking it to a Cadillac Dealer to have it repaired?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/6/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Mechanic is correct, the whole assembly being replaced is the best option. You could remove headlamp and try to silicone all of the areas it connects. The bumper needs to be partially removed to replace headlamp assembly so it is a pretty big job and headlight assembly brand new from dealership is going to be pretty expensive. I'd recommend buying a headlight on ebay and having mechanic replace it. Here is a link to buy one, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-For-2010-2013-Cadillac-SRX-Passenger-Side-w-bulb/231998082938?fits=Year%3A2011%7CModel%3ASRX&epid=1075542088&hash=item360429cf7a:g:5h4AAOSwcXVZ7-U3&vxp=mtr

Ok, so what do recommend? Was I given the correct advise?

Yes you were given correct advice,

the whole assembly being replaced is the best option. You could remove headlamp and try to silicone all of the areas it connects. The bumper needs to be partially removed to replace headlamp assembly so it is a pretty big job and headlight assembly brand new from dealership is going to be pretty expensive. I'd recommend buying a headlight on ebay and having mechanic replace it. Here is a link to buy one, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

No

You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees if you end up having more questions or running into questions. Thanks again and have a great day, please do not forget to rate answer.

I'm very aware of the expense. I 'm not certain that having the repair done where I live is a good idea as they have not replaced a headlamp on a Cadillac before. I can take the car to a dealer but the only one I trust is 300+miles away.

I would feel fine with repair shop doing replacement, it is pretty straight forward just takes while since bumper needs to be half way removed. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Ok, Thank you for your advise.

No problem, I'm happy to help. Let me know if there is anything else I can do, thanks.

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

Dan, Technician