Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Cadillac SRX with a power lift gate that will…

Customer Question
I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 Cadillac SRX with a power lift gate that will not stay up. I have replaced the power strut and the lift gate pump but the lift gate will not stay up. What do I do now ? ? ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids recently?

I can see that there is fluid in the pump and the pump is new. How much fluid should be in the pump and how do you check it ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have replaced the power strut and the lift gate pump. Both are new.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just what to do next ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/5/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Cadillac Technician replied 8 months ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Cadillac Technician

Hydraulic Fluid Part Number 88863458
There is a TECH Bulletin for the Liftgate Strut
Prior to replacing any parts, check the right side gas strut for signs of wear, cracks, leaks or other damage, then check the hold open ability of the gas strut and replace the liftgate strut as needed. Part Number 22745513
You posted that a New Strut was installed, so you may want to check Fluid Level & Bleed the Pump to see if that is the issue, as there is not much to this System to cause the Liftgate to lower by itself
Click Attachments Below

.

Let me know if you need further

.

.
If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works,
You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping..
I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses..
Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issue is resolved..

I checked both the old pump and the new pump and both fluid levels are at the top of the mark as indicated on the attachments you sent.

Be sure you bleed the pump & line
As stated, there is not much to this system & it appears the pressure is not holding (bleed back) or the Strut has failed

can you send instructions on how to bleed the system ? The strut is new.
Ok, seems like I have been all through these steps, but I will take it apart and go through all of them again. I will get back to you if I am still having trouble.
Thanks
Greg Schwent

I have seen struts bad, right out of parts.
That is a pretty heavy lift gate.
Let me know if you need further

.

Please remember to rate service Thank you
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today.
Please reply and let me know why.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Just repeated steps as instructed, same results. lift gate will operate, hold for 10 seconds, then will drop.

I understand..........
The system is allowing bleed back to the pump or the Strut is bad

How would I know if it is bleeding back to the pump?

by pressure gauge or use of Dealer Scan Tool

as I am not a dealer this does not resolve my problem. What do we do with the charges as a result of using your web site. ?

What do we do with the charges as a result of using your web site. ?
???
.

I presume you read the rules........
You do what you feel is right, as I gave you a straight forward answer & it is not the fault of this expert that you do not have the tools or know how to complete a job.
I have no knowledge of who you are or your experience.

I do not work for Just Answer
I just answer questions to my best ability & knowledge
MY answer was not bogus & there are MANY things customers cannot do without the use of correct tools, a Scan Tool or Dealership help.
I did not design the vehicle & "backyard mechanics" is going fast..........

thanks