Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Service engine light keeps coming on (not check engine).

Customer Question
Service engine light keeps...

Service engine light keeps coming on (not check engine). What could this be? I had Meineke check it and they told me it was the computer. I had it replaced and the light still comes on. I replaced the intake air filter also and it's still on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It's stays on, not blinking for 3 days now

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

1998 Eldorado ETC

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, only replaced the air filter myself. Everything else has been done by a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, the engin has all new lifters, spark plugs and wires, every gasket on engine has been replaced including head gasket. Car has 123,000 miles. Also just had new front struts & rear shocks recently put on. New radiator, hoses and belts. Entire air conditioning system replaced with new parts within last year and a half

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cadillac
12/1/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 4 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

have you scanned for codes yet?

they said it was the computer and I had that replaced and re-programed. The light stayed off 3 days then came back on

what are the code #s?

don't know

can you have it rescanned and report back so i have a better idea?

OK, thanks

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy