Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just bought used and everything was fine. 3days and key fob…

Customer Question
Hello, just bought...

Hello, just bought used and everything was fine. 3days and key fob won't work and car won't crank. Battery at 12.5 v and 12.5 at block to pos. cable under hood

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Both fobs don't work ...door locks won't work electrically at all only manually but engine won't crank with key

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Cadillac?

04 deville

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked all fuses for ignition and checked for 12 volts up to the front fuse box

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Seems somehow related that the door locks don't work and engine won't crank

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cadillac
11/30/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Cadillac technician and would be happy to assist you with this today.

It sounds like we have an issue with either the key fobs or receiver enabling the theft system. I am going to post a link to an article that will highlight how to reset the alarm. Try this and let me know the results. If the ignition will still not power up then it will need to be reset by the GM software

http://mymastermechanic1.com/how-to-reset-a-car-alarm

That's a no go! Not sure we aren't barking up the wrong tree. I do not see a security light at all and it's not just the fobs, the door locks only work manually not electrically at all and the seat positioner (driver 1 or 2 on door panel) also does not work. Any other ideas? Am I overlooking something?
Since the door locks are only working manually that is what makes me lean towards a receiver issue. The door locl receiver receives/sends the key fob signal, so if none of the fobs are working then we may have a receiver issue. The seats are also controlled through the door lock receiver module, so I think our issue may be inside the module. These are a pretty common fault on these models
Where is that module and does it have anything to do with a no crank problem?
It is inside the driver's door panel. It will cause a no crank because it loses the signal from the key fobs
I just got back to it and found that it's not just the locks but windows, trunk and gas lid, heated seats and radio don't work and interior light doesn't come on when you open the door. Unless this sends you in a certain direction I will just have to start checking for power at all the fuses and see if I can figure it out tomorrow. Any ideas? What could affect all those things?

Okay it sounds then like it is going to be a power issue and not a receiver issue. I would start by checking the ignition/BCM fuses. Also make sure the fusible link is not blown. If the ignition/battery fuses are good then we will need to check the bcm power circuits