Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Fuel sending unit not working. Same as usual the E keeps…

Customer Question
Fuel sending unit not...

Fuel sending unit not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Same as usual the E keeps flashing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

1986 deville fwd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replace the fuel sending unit and the fuel data center

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm working on it myself

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
11/27/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, did you use new or used parts when replacing the sending unit and fuel data center

And I need to get the engine size as well as the last 8 of the vin number to pull schematics

The parts are used from A Cadillac parts dealer in California,the engine size is 4.1 litre,the last eight are F4383128

I have looked thru all my sources and do not have the diagrams needed for this - if another expert is able to help, they will post here

Cadillac Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

As yours is an older one I would like you to try something first, either get a small jumper wire with alligator clips on both ends or make one up, then at you fuel tank attach one end to a clean spot on the tank and the other end on a clean spot on the frame or body of the car and try that. I'll check back tomorrow what happens.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.