Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

I have a cts 2003 that will not start.The trouble started…

I have a cts...

I have a cts 2003 that will not start.The trouble started when the battery was removed and replace. After that happened, the lock/car signal appeared on dash board. There are no lights on dash, and when attempts at starting are made, there is a grinding sound that appears to be related the starter in some way.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

NO

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Charging and making sure the battery is fully charged. Turning the ignition switch for 10 mins. 5 second off for 3 times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car was driving ok until about . If remained undriven for about 2 weeks during which time the battery went dead. After than the problem began

11/26/2017
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you turn on the key for 10 minutes does the security light turn off after the 10 minute wait?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Hello PeteI am not at the car at the present time but, instead, at a distant location. I will be back on location with the vehicle at 1pm tomorrow. I would to be with the vehicle when we communicate. I will run the test and note closely the reaction. Thank you for being so prompt.
Are there any other checks you like for to make before we talk tomorrow. I could perhaps be more
Helpful in the process.Thank you again

No problem I will be here most of the day tomorrow.Reply back here when your ready.

Just see if this light is on or flashing at all with either the key on or when you crank over the engine and release the key ( without turning it back any).

Also make sure all fuses are good in all fuse panels.

I will await your reply tomorrow as I am off here soon.

Thanks Pete

Thank you very much

Your welcome

Hello PeteI am at the car and it starts. It will go and out of gear and move forward and backward
The lock car signal is on. The radio is not working. The rear back and passages side windows are not responding. The heat blowe is working. Although the car has been running for about 20 mins the lock car signal is still on,

This sounds like a blown fuse issue causing this fault here needing checked and replaced.If you have not checked for any blown fuses this needs to be done.If no fuses are found to be at fault then I would have the wiring checked for any loose connections or damaged wiring leading to and at the fuse panels.You have power on some components but some are acting like a loss of power.If all fuses are found to be o.k. and no power or ground feed issues are found at or leading from the battery or to the under hood fuse panel then this may be the electronic ignition switch itself that has failed to need to be replaced.This would have to be tested further to be sure if the switch is the cause having the fault codes read out as well as testing the signals from it with a multi meter and scan tools data list.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thank you for all of your help. I think I got it now.

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Cadillac Technician
Pete, Cadillac Technician