Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1978 Seville fuel injection original 350 cube olds…

Customer Question
hi I have a 1978 Seville...
hi
I have a 1978 Seville fuel injection original 350 cube olds engine in my car .I guess cadillac used oldmobile engines we replaced the 2 fuel pumps one in the tank and one on the drivers side back quarter panel the fuel pressure regulator and the coolant sensor. to start the car if you spray starting fluid in the fuel injection it will start right up and run well all day but let the car stay sitting a day or 2 and it will just crank over and will not start until you either put a little gas into it or starting fluid we have no idea what it is. do you have any advice on what to check
I also had the ecm computer rebuilt tony
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cadillac
11/26/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Wolfgang, Cadillac Technician replied 7 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Cadillac Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

did you make sure that the map hose from the throttle body to the ecu has no cracks or tears? that will have a major issue of starting.

Try turning on the ignition but not starting the engine.
You should hear the fuel pump run for about 8 seconds
and then shut off. There should be 39 psi (3.6 Bar) of
fuel pressure at the injectors. If no pressure, check
pump power from computer. There is a fuel pump
fuse in the wiring connecting to the computer.

If pressure is very low, try squeezing closed the hose
on the return pipe from the fuel pressure regulator. If
this raises pressure its the regulator; if not its the
pumps.

let me know!!