Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

El dorado 2k with new battery and charging system:

Customer Question

el dorado 2k with new battery and charging system: infrequently I have found that when I attempt to start the car, I find that there is no power to all electrical systems, everything is completely dead. The battery tester shows that the battery is fully charged but no power. after a wait and a jump, the car starts. I never know when this is going to happen. What can be the problem?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: The power loss is total. I might also mention that occasionally I find that the brake lights will light up for short intervalswhen the car is parked and off.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: El dorado, 2k.
JA: What year is your Cadillac?
Customer: 2000
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Never. New battery (2 months old) and new charging system (last may). I checked battery and charging system and the meter shows that everything is working properly.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does it start right up when a jump start is applied or does it not start even with jumpers in some cases?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete