Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

El dorado 2k with new battery and charging system:

Customer Question
El dorado 2k with...

El dorado 2k with new battery and charging system: infrequently I have found that when I attempt to start the car, I find that there is no power to all electrical systems, everything is completely dead. The battery tester shows that the battery is fully charged but no power. after a wait and a jump, the car starts. I never know when this is going to happen. What can be the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

The power loss is total. I might also mention that occasionally I find that the brake lights will light up for short intervalswhen the car is parked and off.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

El dorado, 2k.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cadillac?

2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Never. New battery (2 months old) and new charging system (last may). I checked battery and charging system and the meter shows that everything is working properly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
11/21/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Pete, Cadillac Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does it start right up when a jump start is applied or does it not start even with jumpers in some cases?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete