Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 CTS loses power when accelerator is depressed to pass…

Customer Question
2011 CTS loses power when...
2011 CTS loses power when accelerator is depressed to pass another vehicle. No check engine lights or codes appear. This is dangerous. What is the solution?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 8 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

They can record all the data from your computer system, with their data/flight recorder. Once the car acts up on them on their test drives, ALL the data that was recorded can then be read back to see what the problem is.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Sorry. Not helpful. The problem cannot be duplicated "on demand. Again, it is intermittent which is why the dealer cannot record the data you mention.

LOL, I do this all the time with intermittent issues like this. If it acts up for you, it will act up for them too, just a matter of time. There's no magic here, I'm trying to help you.

I’ve been in the auto repair industry since 1975 and have made many improvements over
the years pertaining to proper repairs. I also share this knowledge in the classrooms I
instruct in around the country, teaching for large companies who offer high-end training
to repair shop technicians.
It all starts with listening to the customer’s complaint, confirming it and finally doing all
the needed tests to locate the problem. All these tests require thousands of dollars worth
of specialized equipment that were designed and produced for the professional
technician. So when I recommend something for you to do, though it may seem silly to
you, please trust that I’ve “been there and done that” before. Getting a baseline is critical.
Once this is done, then I confirm what I have found wrong instead of throwing parts at it,
to be sure the problem I see is NOT camouflaged by something else.
Just like when you go to the doctor’s office for a visit, they take all your vital signs such
as; blood pressure, body temperature, weight, pulse etc.
This is my approach as well, except with the cars vital signs instead. I do everything
possible to NOT leave any stones unturned because it can cause you to misdiagnose the
problem or chase your tail.
I see so many people replace everything between the bumpers to no avail and spend
money they could have saved, if they only paid for a good diagnosis.
Sad to say, I even see people offering help to someone else by just telling them what the
parts are they should replace. Ouch!! These cars are all high tech, no room for guesswork.
When the check engine light or any lights illuminate in the instrument cluster, something
is obviously wrong, and there is not a code reader on the planet that will tell you what’s
wrong, they will only give you a code that is related to the part/circuit in question. These
parts stores check codes for free, for what reason? Hmm!

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.