Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Cadillac SRX an the previous owner didn't

Customer Question
I have a 2010 Cadillac...
I have a 2010 Cadillac SRX an the previous owner didn't change the oil as warranted, now I'm haveing to replace timing chain want can be done to remove oil sludge from the engine before repairs are done
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cadillac
11/18/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr. replied 7 months ago
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Over the years in the mechanic trade, I have come across many, many sludged engines. To be 100% honest, there is no real "quick" way to eliminate sludge. There are some chemicals at the auto parts stores that 'claim' to alleviate the situation, but these are VERY bad ideas because they thin out the lubrication oil. This is very detrimental to the rod and main bearings on the crankshaft. If you want to remove the sludge, you need to pull the covers off of the top of the engine and manually scoop it out. Then wire brush, toothbrush, etc with hard to get areas with kerosene. Then pull the bottom off and scoop it out. Using a ling wire brush, and more kerosene, run the brush down the oil drain passages to the oil sump. Sludge removal is very time consuming and very messy. If you are not experienced in partial engine disassembly, you might want to leave this to the professionals. If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!