Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My uncle has a 1985 eldarodo and he says it will go six

Customer Question
My uncle has a...

My uncle has a 1985 eldarodo and he says it will go six miles then the alarm sounds and the car shuts off. He waits a few minutes to get it going again, then six miles and it does the same thing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Why would this cause it to stop?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '85 Cadillac?

Eldorado

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

He checked the oil, but it has a new pump. One spark plug was loose, but after fixing that it happened again anyway.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cadillac
11/18/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 5 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, see if you can find out a couple of things from him for me.

If any warning lights are on before the engine shuts off

And the last 8 of the vin number so I can pull any needed schematics

The service engine light has been on for months.
The vin number is *****
Cadillac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago

HI,

Ok, the first step is to retrieve the fault codes

The Check Engine light will also produce the trouble code/codes by a series of flashes which translate as follows: When the diagnostic test lead (C-4) or terminal (CCC) under the instrument panel is grounded, with the ignition in the ON position and the engine not running, the Check Engine light will flash once, pause, and then flash twice in rapid succession. This is a Code 12, which indicates that the diagnostic system is working. After a long pause, the Code 12 will repeat itself two more times. This whole cycle will then repeat itself until the engine is started or the ignition switch is turned OFF.

When the engine is started, the Check Engine light will remain on for a few seconds and then turn off. If the Check Engine light remains on, the self-diagnostic system has detected a problem. If the test lead (C-4) or test terminal (CCC) is then grounded, the trouble code will flash (3) three times. If more than one problem is found to be in existence, each trouble code will flash (3) three times and then change to the next one. Trouble codes will flash in numerical order (lowest code number to highest). The trouble code series will repeat themselves for as long as the test leads or terminal remains grounded.

A trouble code indicates a problem with a given circuit. For example, trouble code 14 indicates a problem in the cooling sensor circuit. This includes the coolant sensor, its electrical harness and the Electronic Control Module (ECM).

See attached for location of connector

Do this and let me know all the codes

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that your expert pays for requested directions out of pocket for your benefit. Failure to give a positive rating means that the expert will no longer be able to provide this service at substantial savings to you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager