Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2004 Cadillac actually EXT is turning off whenever I put…

Customer Question
My 2004 Cadillac actually...

My 2004 Cadillac actually EXT is turning off whenever I put it in gear but when it's in park or in YouTube it idles fine but as soon as I hit the gas and let off the gas it dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Nothing out of the ordinary and it starts the same weight has been if anything different it's not that much that nothing noticeable

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Cadillac?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Also no the heater in defrost area doesn't turn on when I hit the power button it doesn't turn on at all and the model is a EXT 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
11/17/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Master Technician replied 8 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, this is two different problems/questions. Ill concentrate on the engine running problem. So it idles fine, no warning lights on, it stalls when you put the shifter in drive or reverse. It also stalls when you rev the engine in gear and it goes back to an idle? No diagnostic trouble codes stored? How many miles are on the vehicle?

Over 200,000 miles but it runs great the only time installs is when it's in gear but even if I'm in gear and I drive as long as on pushing the gas it will go but as soon as I let off the gas it will stall out and turn off

Ok a vacuum leak can Cause an engine stall, but it should also typically turn on a check engine light and set lean codes. S if there are no warning lights on or lean codes stored then I would lean towards a transmission problem with the torque convertor. With the mileage on the vehicle this would be a most likely issue. The convertor wears over time and causes the engine to stall when put in gear. Raising the idle can help it from stalling out. The transmission would need to be removed to replace the convertor. There are a few technical service bulletins for convertor issues as well.

If you need more help please let me know. If I answered your questions please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Do you need more help with this concern?

How do I fix a vacuum leak if it is the problem
You will have to inspect any air inlet hoses or vacuum hoses and repair of visable broken. Other vacuum leaks like an intake manifold gasket would require removal of the intake manifold. It will set leak codes on both banks of the engine of this is the case and fuel trims will reflect a leak when using a scan tool.spraying brake cleaner will seal a vacuum leak at the intake for instance and the idle will temporarily smooth out and the fuel trims will read normal. A smoke machine can also be used to find vacuum leaks