Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

DEVILLE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM, car won’t start or starts

Customer Question
DEVILLE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM...

DEVILLE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM, car won’t start or starts sometimes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes everything except the fuses have been checked out.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your DeVille?

1997

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its my 80+ year old sister, upstate NY rural community, mechanic has kept car going for her, but this anti theft system keeping car from starting issue continues.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope car in great running condition except this occasional issue.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
She stopped using her remote to lock the car, and has done the other recommended things on this site ...
Please let me know how long the wait will be?
11/16/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

Has she had him check the wires to the ignition lock cylinder? They are bad about breaking. Here is a pic of the wires I am referring to.

Some times the wires will brake but will still touch together, and some times they will not touch.

Not something she can check herself however have every reason to believe the mechanic has done this...I will let her know to share this with her mechanic.
Any other possibilities?

That is the most common cause. There is not anything that would cause an intermittent problem.

That photo suggest ignition key location / I l not a mechanic nor near the car - it’s in NY UPSTATE I am just trying To get options for my elder sister. The car not starting seems related to ending getting locked by anti- theft system. Not a starting issue.

The anti theft system uses the two white wires to read the key, and send the resistance of the key to the bcm. If the wires do not tell the bcm what the resistance of the key is, then the car will not start. As you can see in the pic, this was an ignition switch I pulled out of a customers car that had the exact same problem your sister does. The white wire broke and would not tell the bcm what key was being used, so the bcm thinks the car is being stolen with out a key being used.

Got it. Will let her know. Hope that is the problem. Thank you!

You are very welcome.

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things where going?

Thanks for checking. Her mechanic is away until end of month for the house holidays; I am away after that until 12/7, however if/when I hear from her about the repair will definitely let you know. Thanks again.

Thank you.