Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1989 Eldorado will not start due to anti theft system. Can I…

Customer Question
1989 Eldorado will not...

1989 Eldorado will not start due to anti theft system. Can I over ride? Three minutes won't work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Done. Spare key won't work. 3 week old battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself. Forum says I can splice in resistor that matches key resistance.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Mechanic says $600 for ignition bypass fix. Can I do something cheaper? Car runs great, only 73,000 miles.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
11/16/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Pete, Cadillac Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Here is a simple inexpensive bypass.I know radio shacks are not open anymore ( at least in my area so you may need to locate resistors elsewhere).

You can test the resistance across the chip on the key from one side of the chip to the other side.Write this down.Then go to radio shack and purchase a resistor or resistors that match very close to this within 25 ohms or less if possible.

Then locate the main wiring connector under the dash on the drivers side,the wiring comes down from the steering column into this connector.

Locate the very tiny white wires in this connector on the steering column side of the connector,they may be in an orange wiring sheath.

You can disconnect this connector and test resistance on these two wires from one wire to another,it should read the same as the key with the key in the ignition.If it doesn't then the wires have broke off the back of the cylinder.

You can either replace the cylinder or cut the two white wires on the steering column side of the connector leaving about 2 to 3 inches of wire in the connector.

Then put your resistors in series so when you test the resistance of the resistors it matches very close to what your key reads,then install one end to one wire and the other to the other wire.

Then reconnect the connector and the vehicle should start.This is the simple and easiest way to by pass this and works well as I have done several times before.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete