Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 cadillac deville that is not charging. I have…

Customer Question
HI I have a 2000...
HI I have a 2000 cadillac deville that is not charging. I have been leaning towrds the PCM but 2 mechanics say it is alternator. I removed the alternator twice and both times the shops (2 different) said alternator is good. I have ordered a PCM but scared to insert as I heard it is difficult to reprogram, it was flashed already and supposedly ready to insert. I gave the vin of the car.
Now I have a mechanic that is just jumping everywhere to find the issue. I want to check the alternator out put connected and disconnected to see if the voltage increases. Currently the mechanic has not checked output when not connected to car. I was thinking to remove the red cable at fuse box? then check alternator output? Or I seen here Randall C says check red large lead from alternator for 12 v. then check orange with key off if has 12 volt problemm is most likely the PCM. Would I then just replace the PCM? Where can I get the procedure I heard of to make the security or key be ok? Or did I hear wrong?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 5 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

it needs to be flashed are you buying a programmed pcm?

I bought from all computer resources supposed to be flashed
2000 Cadillac Deville ECM ECU PCM Engine ComputerQuality remanufactured units.
Includes all motor sizes.
Free shipping in continental U.S.
Limited Lifetime Warranty w/ Core Exchange.
Flashed with latest GM calibration.
VIN Specific Programming (Plug & Drive).
My question is, is there somethings I should check prior to replacing the PCM? What?

any low voltage or dtc s in the ecm?

HI I have a 2000 cadillac deville that is...
HI I have a 2000 cadillac deville that is not charging. I have been leaning towrds the PCM but 2 mechanics say it is alternator. I removed the alternator twice and both times the shops (2 different) said alternator is good. I have ordered a PCM but scared to insert as I heard it is difficult toreprogram, it was flashed already and supposedly ready to insert. I gave the vin of the car.
Note I am not a mechanic, I am an electronic technician
Cadillac Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, Sounds to me like the PCM is the culprit. Do you need the replacement procedure?

are you there?

do you still need assistance? If not it would be nice to let me know. Thank you.
not pcm, started working.

just started working out of the blue?

pretty much while making some test probe tests started working. So the story goes. Thanks anyway.

sounds like somethings loose or a case of terminal fatigue

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician