Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

My 2011 SRX has 12 volts by meter on battery but won't turn

My 2011 SRX has 12...
My 2011 SRX has 12 volts by meter on battery but won't turn over,lights and radio work bur radio came on on a non station just static.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: which fuse?
JA: What year is your Station?
Customer: 2011 Cadillac SRX
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to figure out why the engine won't turn over
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
11/15/2017
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

What you are describing sounds like a voltage issue. Using your meter check to see how much load the battery is able to support. Sometimes they will show 12 volts but have no capacity to put out any decent amps.

Try checking the battery voltage with your meter, then turn on the highbeam headlights, the radio, the HVAC blower, etc and then check the battery voltage again. Let me know what it drops to. Then turn everything off and see how long it takes for the battery to climb back up to the original voltage.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried to start it again and it turned over but didn't catch and that was all. I measured voltage and it was down to 8.something and didn't go up until after the courtesy lights went out. Even then it was slow coming up and didn't reach 12. Does sound like it needs a new battery.

Definitely looks like a bad battery. The original AC delco batteries have only been lasting about 4-5 years these days. If yours is the original then I'd say it's about time for it to be dying.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician