Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

I have a 2006 cts, RWd. I have a 2006 cts rwd with 3.6

Hi. I have...

Hi. I have a 2006 cts, RWd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hi I have a 2006 cts rwd with 3.6 engine. 131,000 miles. Transmission was going out so I had it replaced with a used tranny from an 07 with 46,000 miles. The transmission seems to be working fine in all ranges, shifting ok but I still have a random at different times while driving a sound that seems to be coming from the transmission area like a short buzzing or humming noise. Usually happens while steady rpms, not under acceleration. It started making this same random noise in the previous transmission when it started to go out. Finally it quit shifting into gears and in overdrive the previous trans would run at 3000 rpms at 65. This new used trans seems to be making the same just random "buzzing" or humming noise. It doesn't stay for very long. Just comes and goes. Am I looking in the right place or is it just coincidence that this is another issue that started when my original trans failed. Also, there is no transmission dipstick or a way to fluid replace in these units. Is this trans maintenance free? I can't believe that an automatic trans would be maintenance free.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you heard this particular sound before? The Cadillac Mechanics require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. When my orginal transmission failed it started then or I noticed it then.

11/14/2017
ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

is the check engine light on ?

and it shifts just fine ?

Check engine light is not on. All ranges and gears seem to be shifting correctly and I can’t notice any slippage.
It’s not constant but while under light acceleration it will buzz briefly at say 30-35 mph , sometimes u won’t hear it for a little bit than while maintaining speeds or gradual acceleration it will buzz again, sometimes longer and shorter at different times, say like 3-5 seconds then it just goes and comes with no reason.

at this point i would have a shop check the fluid level in the transmission if that level is good with no check engine light on there is nothing to worry about at this point with it shifting correctly

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Ok. Fluid level is fine. Just had the transmission installed last week and level was verified at time of install. What other direction should I look at to try and figure out what this slight buzzing or humming noise is that seems to be coming right from where the transmission is? My concern is that with my orginal transmission it started that random buzzing sound before it failed and before I noticed gear slippages and random shift activity. I also had this same scenario with a 2008 Saturn outlook. Same routine before the trans failed in it.

i would have the shop run it up in the air and be sure its from the transmission and if it is and the fluid is full it should be fine

ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician
ggrote1
ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician