Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 Cadillac DTS....ecm fuse would blow occasionally....

Customer Question
Now car won't start....replaced ecm...
2007 Cadillac DTS....ecm fuse would blow occasionally.... Now car won't start....replaced ecm (used but had it reprogrammed and vin and mileage updated)crankshaft position sensor,cam position sensor,ignition switch,fuse block under hood,car will start briefly( one second) then die....will stay running if spraying starting fluid in TB.fuel injectors get 12 v to one wire.....no pulse on the other.....injectors will pulse if probed with test light
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cadillac
11/13/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Pete, Cadillac Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the ecm fuse still shorting out with this issue here?

Have you checked for fault codes in the ecm?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Not still shorting....getting code for ignition 1 circuit2 p1682....and p0315 crankshaft position variation not learned

O.k.,the crank code or learn you cannot do until the engine is running.That is a procedure you do with a scan tool that has the function to perform the crank shaft relearn.

P1682 indicates a fault with an ignition 1 circuit.It is possible the new/used ecm that was installed is defective causing this issue as that is one of the causes for the P1682 code to set.Below is the diagnostic procedure for this code.This procedure needs to be followed to pinpoint the cause of this code.Once this is done then the faulty component is replaced.I would double check and make sure all wiring and connections leading to and at the ecm are o.k. as this can cause this fault if there is a wiring or connection fault.

Circuit/System Verification

1. If DTCs P0685, P0689, or P0690 are set, diagnose those DTCs first.
2. Ignition ON, engine OFF, observe the Ignition 1 voltage signal, and the EC Ignition Relay Feedback signal parameters, on the scan tool. Both parameter values should display no more than 3 volts difference, between the 2 parameters.
3. Ignition OFF, observe the ignition 1 voltage signal parameter, on the scan tool. The parameter value should be 0 volts, before the ECM powers down.

Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition ON, observe the Ignition 1 Signal and EC Ignition Relay Feedback scan tool parameters to determine which is less than B+.
2. Ignition OFF, remove the relay that corresponds to the scan tool parameter that is less than B+.

Important: Six ohms or greater in the circuit/underhood fuse block will cause the DTC to set.

3. Ignition ON, connect a 3A fused Jumper wire between B+ and the applicable ignition 1 circuit terminal. Verify that the applicable scan tool parameter displays B+.

◊ If the applicable scan tool parameter is less than the specified value, test the ignition 1 circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

4. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the applicable relay.

Typical Scan Tool Data

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lcwe9eq6t4thvn/ec-11-13.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y19dgillgmtc5o2/ecm-11-13.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

OK....I will try that and get back to you in a day or two

Sounds good.If you need anything else let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

I’m not finished...haven’t had chance to use procedure you suggested....can’t rate the answer till I try it....I rated before finishing before and was charged again when I needed follow up info
No problem.Come back to this post here when your ready to reply.Thanks Pete
Pete, Cadillac Technician