Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My temperature gauge reads 0 all the time and it says engine…

Customer Question
My temperature gauge reads...

My temperature gauge reads 0 all the time and it says engine hot ac off as soon as i start the car 2008 cts

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?

No leak runs and drives for long periods of time fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Havent tried anything, it is intermittent

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cadillac
11/8/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

hows it going dan

It is going well, thanks for asking. This usually means coolant temp sensor or thermostat has failed, when computer notices a problem it puts vehicle in safe mode by saying it is hot and disabling the temperature gauge. I would recommend replacing both parts, make sure to use AC Delco brand thermostat. To have this done at a shop you are looking at around $400 or $60 to do it yourself. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

okay i thought it might be the temp gauge because it is always reading 0, but it is intermittent sometimes it goes away, no engine light though, will it pass etest like that?
i will replace the temp gauge and thermostat, is the temp gauge a hard job, and the thermostat, is it hard to get to on the 3.6?

No it won't pass emission test with any check engine light on as far as I know so problem will need to be fixed. They are both pretty easy give me a few minutes and I'll upload procedure.

Here are replacement instructions, let me know if you have questions or run into questions. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees, please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/shieqdmne7a76t6/cts1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt2sil3sh3ssooo/cts2.pdf?dl=0

sounds good buddy thank you

No problem, let me know how it goes. Thanks again and have a good night.

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.