Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

I'm having the hardest time finding out where the engine

I'm having the hardest time...
I'm having the hardest time finding out where the engine coolant drain plugs are on a 2008 Cadillac CTS with the 3.6 L engine
JA: Most cars have two fuse panels. Which are you looking for -- under the dash or under the hood?
Customer: I'm looking for coolant drain plugs on the engine block
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm doing a coolant flush myself. I want to completely drain the engine of coolant. I've already drained the radiator, but I need to drain the engine block
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what is the charge for using this service?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Cadillac Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: okay that's fine
10/30/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

There is two block drain plugs. One on each side of engine. Here is pictures of each drain on engine block for you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/syjie7dfnc11hei/2008%20cts%20coolant%20drain%20right.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xv8mqvhqi8mhz1/2008%20cts%20coolant%20drain%20left.pdf?dl=0

If you have no other questions on this subject then please enter a 5 star rating so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Jaybird. Thanks for these pictures! Are these bolts hard to get at to completely drain the coolant out of the engine?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not really able to take a call right now, but thanks for the offer

They will be hard to get to behind the exhaust manifolds if you can even get to them with motor mounts and manifolds in the way. I would suggest using a small amount of air pressure to push out coolant from engine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wish I could just drain the block. Draining the radiator and refilling the surge tank won't work as I have concentrated antifreeze. It seems the only way to get a proper mix is to flush the engine with water removing/diluting as much of the old coolant and then add concentrated antifreeze. Is there a better way to completely change the coolant with fresh 60/40 mix (I live in a cold climate)?

Without using a coolant exchange machine that hooks to radiator hoses it is hard to get all old fluid out and new in. You would need to do the fresh water run and drain a couple times to get most old coolant out. Even draining block does not clear the heater core.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I'll just have to flush with water and add concentrated antifreeze to the surge tank. I have deionized water, but is it absolutely necessary or would drinkable filtered water be fine?

Just so you know the entire cooling system is 12 quarts of 50/50 Dexcool and clean drinking water.

The manual says clean drinking water. This is first time I have seen it specify this water and not deionized water.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For people like me doing the coolant flush on their own (without a coolant exchange machine), what procedure would you recommend to replace the coolant after 5 years/100000 km?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?

Yes i am. had to step away for a minute.

I would just do the drain and fill every 3 years.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just have to run into a meeting. I already have mainly water in the engine so if I add a gallon of concentrate, I'll have a 25:75 dilution which isn't enough. What would you recommend to get to at least 50:50 i.e. how many more radiator drains and additions of concentrate?

I would drain all the water and then close it up and pour in at least 1/2 gallon and then mix 50/50 in the gallon and then do same with next gallon.

Jaybird61
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Jay. Just so I understand, after draining the peacock on the radiator, around a gallon comes out so about 2 gallons of water are left in the engine. You’re saying I should add 1/2 a gallon of concentrated antifreeze, run the engine to mix and then drain and add a gallon of 50/50 mix. Then Repeat warming the engine to operating temperature, draining and then add another gallon of 50/50 mix. Is that correct? I’ve also been running the interior at the hottest temperature and max fan setting during the engine warm up. Is that necessary? Thanks for your help!

I would drain all the water you can get out and then put in the 1/2 gallon to one gallon if it fits of pure coolant then top it off with a 50/50 mix for the leftover coolant until it is full.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Whenever I drain from the petcock, the most that ever comes out is around a gallon (but less than that in reality). The only way I can add a gallon of 50/50 is if I drain after adding the 1/2 to full gallon of pure concentrate. Is that what you’re instructing or do you mean that I should drain the radiator first, then run the engine without topping off the surge tank, then drain to get most of the water out and then add the concentrate followed by a 50/50 mix?

I would drain as much as comes out of radiator and overflow bottle and then add pure coolant as much as it takes. If you only have 12 quarts in the system when filled then if you can get in 6 quarts of pure antifreeze then you will be good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay that’s great. Thanks for all of your help! I will remember you and request you next time I have more questions. Take care and have a great night!

Thank you and you also have a good night.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61