Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

WE HAVE A 2010 CADILLAC SRX. THE ENGINE WARNING LIGHT HAS

Customer Question
BEEN ON FOR 2-YEARS. THE...
WE HAVE A 2010 CADILLAC SRX. THE ENGINE WARNING LIGHT HAS BEEN ON FOR 2-YEARS. THE DEALER CLAIMS IT'S THE TIMING BELT. SO LAST YEARS INSPECTION THE DEALER GOT A 1-YEAR EXTENSION ON MAKING REPAIRS. NOW THE DEALER WANT'S $1,800.00 TO MAKE REPAIRS. SOMEONE TOLD ME GM WOULD PAY FOR THE REPAIRS.IS THAT TRUE?
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: WE WERE TOLD GM WOULD COVER THE REPAIRS UP TO 120,000 MI. WE HAVE 103,000 MI.
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I BOUGHT A CODE READER AND THE CODE THAT COMES UP IS P0017 & P0011. WHICH ARE BOTH CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. NOTHING TO MENTION ABOUT A TIMING CHAIN .I WANT GM TO PAY THE DEALER FOR RPAIRS.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cadillac
10/24/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 month ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

First, does your SRX have the 2.8L turbo or 3L engine

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3L

HI,

icon_prd_right_vehicle.gif 2010 Cadillac Truck SRX AWD V6-3.0L

save-icon.png Save Article

DTC P0011, P0014, P0021, or P0024 (LF1, LFW)

Diagnostic Aids

An incorrectly installed camshaft, camshaft position actuator solenoid, mechanical camshaft actuator, or timing chain can cause this DTC to set

DTC P0017
- Crankshaft Position - Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 1

The engine control module (ECM) uses the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor pulses to monitor the correlation between the crankshaft and the camshaft position. An improper relative position can be caused by either engine timing or improper indexing of the camshaft drive chain.

As you can see, a timing chain, which yours has, that jumps time will set either code.

The only warranty extension is on the 3.6L engine that was in the 2007-2009 SRX, CTS, and STS models. This does NOT apply to the 2010 with the 3L engine.

You can contact GM customer service to try to get them to do a goodwill warranty on it, but truthfully, since you have been told for the last 2yrs that it needed to be done and you have declined to have the work done, it is unlikely that they will do any goodwill warranty for you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager