Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've got a '03 cadillac dts 4.6L northstar in here and i…

Second opinion] Hey man, I've...
Second opinion] Hey man, I've got a '03 cadillac dts 4.6L northstar in here and i have a fuel level sensor code. Voltage too high. i know via wiring diagram that the purple wire is the signal wire from the sending unit to the pcm. However, i have 5 volts on said signal wire. i went straight to the pcm and cut the signal wire just before the pcm C2 connector and i still have 5 volts {reference voltage} coming out of the pcm. with the exception of the pcm being internally shorted im out of ideas.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/18/2017
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

If you have this code, most often the code is set due to the sending unit is faulty. The pcm sees the voltage is still 5 volts, and not dropping due to the sending unit not applying a ground to it. This control is only 5 volt system, so the pcm is sending the correct voltage, it just is not getting a ground from the sending unit itself.

i ohmed out the variable resistor and found the problem. thanks anyway though.

You can replace just the sending unit and not the whole fuel pump.

i don't think so, the sending unit is wired in with the pump so they will not sell it seperate.

Gm sells just the sending unit.

yea, but is the cost of the sending unit from the dealer cheaper than the cost of the whole module in the aftermarket?

The last one I got was $40.00. That is much better then $300 for a whole pump.

35$ from the local boneyard

That is not bad, compared to a new pump.

i wish i had more options but my resources are a little limited. i would much rather put a new module from the dealer in...

Some times you have to do what you have to do. Money is tight for every one so I understand.

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech