Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

If it sits a few days the battery dies and the radio stops…

Customer Question
If it sits a...

If it sits a few days the battery dies and the radio stops workin

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

New battery new alternator new ground from body to motor

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

04 escalade ext

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escalade EXT yourself? What have you tried so far?

New battery new alternator and a ground wire from body to block oh and i removed the amp fuse and radio fuse

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cadillac
10/1/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic

Hi there, I am Cam.

When your system goes dead, what does it take to get the radio working again? Do you do a reset of some sort?

Jump car. It starts charges. But radio comes on sometimes and sometimes it dont. If it does its fine for a few weeks maybe a month if it dont 2 or 3 days

Ok, is this the factory radio or aftermarket?

Factory bose sound system all original with like 205k

Ok, so it seems that if the battery is going dead far too soon, this is a fault somewhere. Now the radio is suspect but we should test to be sure. Below is the procedure I use to find any drain.

The test I would do is this. Open the door and use a screwdriver to trigger the latch so the truck thinks the door is closed. Open the hood and remove the cover for the fuse block. Take the meter and set it on direct current amps. Remove only the negative battery cable. If you have two batteries, remove both cables from the other battery. Get a 10 amp fuse and for a moment, connect the battery cable to the battery using the fuse in between. If that you does not blow, it is safe to proceed with the rest of the test. Place the positive lead of the meter on the negative battery cable itself. Place The negative lead of the meter into the negative battery post or terminal. Your meter should start reading a drain and it may be as high as 5 A. Wait 10 minutes for the reading to settle down. Optimum reading is 0.030 A. Start removing fuses one at a time and watch the reading. Remove every fuse and record the fuse or fuses that drop the drain below 0.030 A. Be sure to remove the fuses in every fuse block.