Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

What is the meaning of these codes p1258, p0304 ,p0174

Customer Question
,p0171 Cadillac deville 2003 Thank you allan...
what is the meaning of these codes p1258, p0304 ,p0174 ,p0171
Cadillac deville 2003
Thank you allan
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cadillac
9/25/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician replied 9 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

Hi Allan, good to speak with you today.

P0304 is a cylinder #4 misfire. P0171 and P0174 are lean exhaust indications, generally meaning that you have a vacuum leak to find and repair. And P1258 tells us that the engine was recently overheated to a very high temperature, 268F to be exact, and this is there just to tell the tech that the engine was overheated, but doesn't tell us anything more than that.

All of these things combined, if you were to ask me for my educated guess, point to a head gasket failure, likely at cylinder 4. The lean exhaust can be and probably is a stand alone issue, pointing to a leak in the air intake or something like that, but the misfire and overtemp codes are much more important at this point.

I see that you are seeking a second opinion, but it doesn't appear that you have read this thread yet, just wondering if you had questions about what I said above.