Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

1977 SEVILLE replaced the ECM module all inputs check out

but will only run if...
1977 SEVILLE replaced the ECM module all inputs check out but will only run if gas is manually added. New fuel pump also.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: It is new and the tank and filter good also!
JA: Are you fixing your Seville yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tested all inputs to the ECM, cleaned fuel tank replaced the fuel pump and filter check fuel pressure changed ECM module still not sure if it is the problem. Engine runs if gas supplied manully.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a certified mechanic working on car who has given up thinks the ECM is still the problem can't find a new one I can afford for that year.
9/21/2017
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

the ecm directly supplies power to the fuel pump.

did he verify power to the fuel pump from the ecm?? in order to condemn the ecm, he must vrify power to the fuel pump first.

Roy

do you still need help???

Roy

I am making a copy of your reply and taking it to my mechanic this morning. I am certain he has verified the power to the pump and the pressure the pump was putting out is correct.

ok

Roy

roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

this question is still open and I have not been rated. I closed the other question for you. no need to have 2 open

thank you

ok,

no you cannot upgrade. must use that one

did he verify wiring and power back to the pump???

Roy

checking on diagrams. it seems they have deleted many of them

Roy

ok

does the engine stay running after you prime it???

if it does, the distributor pick up in the distributor may be the issue. the ecm looks at that signal for the first 200 rpm to fire the injectors.

did he also verify fuel pressure to the injectors???

Roy

He verified the ECM was firing the pump he verified the pressure at the rail it appears that the ECM is not firing the injectors. It keeps running as long as the gas is added manually. Can my mechanic call you directly? Finding ?an ECM is difficult and expensive. if the ECM is not firing the injectors what will cause that

ok, did he check the distributor pick up I suggested in my previous post???

I will send the premium service request for the call.

Roy

I will get my mechanic to call when he can get back on my car it may be a few days. Is there anything else he should check besides the distributer pick up that would stop the ECM from firing the injectors?

start there

roybelding
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician