Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 97 Eldo just had oil P. lght come on yesterday and the…

My 97 Eldo just...

My 97 Eldo just had oil P. lght come on yesterday and the temp. go up a bit. The oil level is ok and it has plenty of water/a.f. I've had it sinece 2011 and knrw about the head gasket prob. ( got it for $2500 ) . I put an expensive 2-part sealer in cooling sys. when I got it , and no problems since. I suspect a poss oil leak into the coolant, but have not checked that yet .

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

No, just the sealant. Hoses were new when I got it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Cad. Eldorado '97

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do just easy stuff - I,m 81. Had fuel pump, starter replaced.

9/22/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Cadillac Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Do you have the means to check the oil pressure?

No, just the low p. light.
I'm pretty sure a head gasket is leaking. When I got the car it had a coolant leak. Duraseal sealant stopped it. I'm thinking I can't afford $4k + to replace head gaskets. So, my only alternative is to continue "gluing" it together. I notice BARS LEAKS has an Engine Repair 2-part sealant for the crankcase. The duraseal has held for 6 years. Since oil p. is greater than coolant p. , I think its best to try plugging the oil first now. Its now 1:00 PM et here in SC and I want get the sealant and other things this afternoon.

You need to be careful with these mechanic in a bottle additives. They often can stop some leaks but they can also stop up flow ports and restrict oil or coolant flow through holes internal which are not leaks. However if you do not have the money to get it correctly addressed and understand these actions can eventually ruin the engine then you have no other option but to try them and hope for the best.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Cadillac Technician